[tdwg-content] biostatus

Blum, Stan SBlum at calacademy.org
Thu Sep 10 06:52:33 CEST 2009

OK, I think we're in agreement that taxon (concept) attributes could include some kind of summary or assertion about whether its presence in some area is native or otherwise.  As Rich says, that may need further thought to be included in DwC in this round.  I think there is a strong rationale for having the ability to say the native range of taxon X is footprint Y.  Any organism occurrence outside that would characterized (as native, invasive, etc.) by comparison against that footprint.  That means...

The data concept that would best be applied to organism occurrence would be "wasCultivatedOrCaptive" and therefore not representative of viability at the place at that time.  Whether a non-cultivated/captive occurrence is native, invasive, naturalized, or ?? remains a comparison to the (a) distribution of the taxon.

-Stan