[tdwg-content] NCD and DwC

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 11 22:34:37 CEST 2009

OK, if we're agreed in principle to share these terms in common and
upgrade them to meet the more general uses, I propose to have the
following terms in the Darwin Core namespace, then NCD can reuse them.
The big reason is that we (DwC) would otherwise have to wait for NCD
to be finalized, lest we be given a moving target. In Darwin Core we
would leave these all as record-level terms, without assigning them to
a "Collection" or "Dataset" class.

institutionCode
Definition: The name (or acronym) in use by the institution having
custody of the object(s) or information referred to in the record.
Comment: Examples: "MVZ", "FMNH", "AKN-CLO"

institutionID
Definition: An identifier for the institution having custody of the
object(s) or information referred to in the record.
Refines: http://purl.org/dc/terms/identifier

collectionCode
Definition: The name, acronym, coden, or initialism identifying the
collection or data set from which the record was derived.
Comment: Examples: "Mammals", "Hildebrandt", "eBird"

collectionID
Definition: An identifier for the collection or dataset from which the
record was derived. For physical specimens, the recommended best
practice is to use the identifier in a collections registry such as
the Biodiversity Collections Index
(http://www.biodiversitycollectionsindex.org/).
Comment: Example: "urn:lsid:biocol.org:col:34818"