[tdwg-content] [Fwd: Re: NCD and DwC]

renato at cria.org.br renato at cria.org.br
Wed Sep 16 15:47:48 CEST 2009

John,

If by inertia you include lack of participation, I have to agree with you.

Anyway, I was just trying to understand why you say that it will be a mess
to use the fielded text solution for sharing NCD records in the current
way the terms are identified. Looking at the DwC fielded text
documentation (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/guides/text/index.htm) I can
only see two places that need to reference terms:

1) In the metafile, where each <field> element needs to reference a term
by the complete URI. In this case, NCD URIs don't seem to be much longer
or uglier than the other ones just because they contain a hash symbol.

Considering the possibility of using NCD terms in DarwinCore, the standard
DwC metafile already mixes namespaces because of Dublin Core terms. By the
way, I think the example metafile is using wrong identifiers for Dublin
Core terms:

http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/examples/text/example_text_simpledwc_complete.xml

2) In the text file header, where people can use any field name assuming
there's a metafile, so there's no problem here too. And if there's no
metafile, the specification says that the text file could still be
understood if the header references "Darwin Core terms". From the example,
I think this means using the term name (i.e., a local identifier). I would
suggest being more explicit in the specification saying "Darwin Core term
names" and adding a Dublin Core term in the example to make it more
complete.

Considering the possibility of using NCD terms in DarwinCore, I guess the
corresponding term names would look like ncd:collectionID or
ncdterms:collectionID - as defined by DarwinCore.

Anyway, I'm not sure there's enough motivation or broad support from the
community to make changes in NCD at this point. Unfortunately not all of
its creators are involved in the discussions and I'm aware there are
applications already written for NCD (such as the Biodiversity Collections
Index), so there may be other implications when changing it. Please take
my original suggestion as just an attempt to make these two TDWG standards
complement each other. I'll still be happy with the original design for
the collection* and institution* DarwinCore elements.

Best Regards,
--
Renato

believed to be clean.