[tdwg-content] Conflict between DarwinCore and DublinCore usageof dcterms:type / basisOfRecord

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Sun Oct 25 16:48:17 CET 2009

Can you explain the difference between your new term dwc:subtype and
the term dwc:basisOfRecord most recently proposed in this thread?

JOHN R. WIECZOREK wrote (24 Oct 2009 11:29AM):

"basisOfRecord will be used in Darwin Core as it is now,
without a formal type vocabulary. The recommended controlled
vocabulary will continue to be managed outside of the standard as
supplementary documentation, as was ratified already. The current
recommendations are given at
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/RecordLevelTerms#basisOfRecord.
The values on this list can be used or not, changed or not, or added
to without affecting the Darwin Core standard. When I mentioned "some
of the terms would go to dcterms:type" in my net solution, above, I
was thinking that it would be redundant to keep "StillImage",
"MovingImage", and "Sound" on the list of controlled vocabulary for
basisOfRecord, as they are already in dcterms:type.
Communities would be free to add to the vocabulary to the level of
specificity they require. For example, MRTG could dispense with the
mrtg:subtype term and use dwc:basisOfRecord instead - adding
"Photograph", for example, to the controlled vocabulary list. This is
exactly the sort of thing basisOfRecord was always meant for."

I see no difference bewteen your dwc:subtype and the proposed
dwc:basisOfRecord except the name. The term basisOfRecord has been
used for this purpose in Darwin Core since 13 Jun 2003. I think
precedence should prevail.