[tdwg-content] Conflict between DarwinCore andDublinCoreusageof dcterms:type / basisOfRecord

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sun Nov 1 09:55:25 CET 2009

So....how does one represent a record that is both a NomenclaturalAct *and*
a TaxonomicAct at the same time (as I said, virtually all of the former also
constitute the latter)?  Perhaps this is the solution that I've been looking
for a while now -- that is, the basisOfRecord in this case is not really the
"basis of the record" (I would describe the basis of the record as a
TaxonNameUsage); but rather represents something more like "basis of
representation".  That is, if a single TaxonNameUsage instance both carries
a NomenclaturalAct and represent a TaxonomicAct, then the basisOfRecord
could distinguish which of the two "things" that the specific record is
intended to represent.  If basisOfRecord=NomenclaturalAct, then metadata
elements would include all the nomenclatural bits associated with the record
(e.g., various Code-governed events, etc.).  If basisOfRecord=TaxonomicAct,
then the metadata elements would include things like classification,
synonymy, included non-name-bearing specimens, etc.  In other words, the
"thing" is the same in both cases (i.e., a TaxonNameUsage instance), but the
difference would be which aspect of that thing the record is intended to
represent.

I suspect strongly that the preceding paragraph makes almost no sense
whatsoever to anyone other than me (and I'm not even sure I understand it).

Aloha,
Rich