[tdwg-content] subgenus as part of higherClassification

Peter Desmet peter.desmet.cubc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 12:53:19 CET 2009

Markus,

If you prefer "genus (subgenus)" - which I guess is following the ICZN
- would you then also prefer "genus rank infragenericName" (Amaranthus
subgenus Albersia, Carex section Phacocystis), which is the correct
way to write it according to the ICBN?

The updated version Vascan will use this formula for its
scientificName (we don't have higherClassification or subgenus), will
this cause any problems?

Peter

2009/11/4 "Markus Döring (GBIF)" <mdoering at gbif.org>:
> Good question Gail,
> I am currently working on integrating million of names from several
> large datasets right now and it seems both ways are equally often used.
> Personally I much prefer to cite the subgenus in bracket together with
> the genus, otherwise its hard or even impossible to tell the two apart.
>
> Markus
>

> On Nov 3, 2009, at 22:10, Gail Kampmeier wrote:
>
>> How would you expect to find a subgenus, which in the term subgenus
>> is combined with its genus for disambiguating homonymies, when you
>> cite it as part of the higherClassification?  Do you cite it as you
>> do in the term for subgenus or "naked"?
>>
>> Aphis (Aphis) glycines
>>
>> <
>> dwc:higherClassification
>> >
>> Animalia
>> ;Arthropoda
>> ;Insecta;Hemiptera;Sternorrhyncha;Aphidoidea;Aphididae;Aphis;Aphis
>> (Aphis)</dwc:higherClassification>
>>
>> or
>>
>> <
>> dwc:higherClassification
>> >
>> Animalia
>> ;Arthropoda
>> ;Insecta;Hemiptera;Sternorrhyncha;Aphidoidea;Aphididae;Aphis;Aphis</
>> dwc:higherClassification>
>>
>> considering that there are about 4 other possible ranks in between
>> the subgenus and species?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Gail
>>

>> * * * * * * *
>> "Indecision may or may not be my problem." --- Jimmy Buffett
>>
>> Gail E. Kampmeier
>> Sr. Research Entomologist
>> Illinois Natural History Survey
>> Institute of Natural Resource Sustainability
>> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>> Box 5 NSRC, MC-637
>> 1101 W. Peabody, Urbana, IL 61801 USA
>> ph. 217-333-2824
>> fax 217-244-1707
>> email: gkamp at illinois.edu **note change**
>> http://www.inhs.illinois.edu/~gkamp/
>> * * * * * * *

Peter Desmet
Biodiversity Informatics Manager / Directeur de l'informatique de la
biodiversité
Montréal Biodiversity Centre / Centre sur la biodiversité
Canadensys - www.canadensys.net

Institut de recherche en biologie végétale
Université de Montréal
4101 Rue Sherbrooke Est
Montréal, Québec, H1X2B2
Canada