[tdwg-content] Darwin Core Collection-related terms

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Fri Jul 24 10:12:46 CEST 2009

Hi John, Renato

Thinking aloud, some possible options I see might be:

a) - omit it from the DwC terms altogether
b) - reuse the existing URI if the NCD term domain was derestricted
c) - keep a duplicate term in the DwC NS
d) - ? keep a duplicate term in the DwC NS and add some kind of "is
equivalent of" to the NCD acronymOrCoden
e) - ? keep a duplicate term in the DwC NS and have NCD acronymOrCoden
do some "refinement" of dwc:collectionCode

My preference is for c) (or if possible e) for clear boundaries of dwc
and also maintainability reasons.

To me, DwC fits nicely as a set of commonly used terms which are
unrestricted to domain classes, and extend the terms offered by the
DublinCore Metadata Terms.  Using these terms we can assemble models/
schemas etc.  To say DwC now also includes terms from other namespaces
(which are currently restricted to domains), I think might become more
difficult to grasp and maintain.    I also wonder if going down the
route of b) or d) for one term could open the floodgates for a lot of
other terms (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#genus -> http://rs.tdwg.org/ontology/voc/TaxonName#genusPart)
  and effectively move towards being an "index of data and object
properties in the TDWG ontology".

Just some thoughts,

Tim