[tdwg-content] InstitutionCode Issue - ownership vs. custodianship

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 31 21:57:45 CEST 2009

Many questions come to mind.

Is any aggregator along the line doing anything to change the original
data (aside from the institutionCode, collectionCode, and
catalogNumber)? If so, why? If not, why not keep the original
identifying information? In other words, the original institutionCode,
collectionCode, and catalogNumber? Is there something sacred or useful
about the aggregator's identifiers? It seems like hosts should be
completely transparent unless they are doing something to the data.
There wouldn't be anything tricky if the original identifiers were
retained - unless there weren't any.

The codes are now meant for any data set (a collection of data), not
just collections of objects. They were actually always meant to be
that way, but the descriptions had their origins in the specimen
collections realm. Specifically, the following terms can all be used
to identify where data are coming from originally:

institutionCode
collectionCode
collectionID
datasetID

while the Dublin Core terms dc:rights, and dc:rightsHolder can be used
to describe the original or other vested interests.

To be more clear about what I meant about collection-related terms, I
would propose changing the descriptions as follow:

institutionCode: "The name (or acronym) in use by the institution
administering the original record."
collectionCode: "The name (or acronym) identifying the original
collection or data set from which the record was derived."
collectionID: "A unique identifier for the original collection or
dataset from which the record was derived. Recommended best practice
is to use the identifier in a collections registry such as the
Biodiversity Collections Index
(http://www.biodiversitycollectionsindex.org/)."
datasetID: "An identifier for the data set. May be a global unique
identifier or an identifier specific to a collection or institution."
(unchanged)
catalogNumber: An identifier (preferably unique) for the record within
the data set or collection.