[tdwg-content] DwC taxonomic terms

Markus Döring m.doering at mac.com
Mon Aug 17 08:24:44 CEST 2009

> I do have a few comments nonetheless. Along with many of these
> proposed changes would have to be changes in the wording of the
> definitions and examples. Markus, can you provider those?
Me and David Remsen will be happy to do so.
Which exactactly are the missing definitions currently?

> The one suggestion with which I disagree is the one for
> higherTaxonName (Issue #50). The definition of the term currently
> reflects its origin and a need that could not otherwise be met - a way
> to provide a complete classification in Simple Darwin Core, in which
> only one instance of a term may occur per record. I don't think this
> functionality should be lost. However, I do agree that the term
> higherTaxonName should be consistent with the related identifier term
> higherTaxonNameID, which is specifically about the parent name of the
> scientificName only. So, I recommend that the current higherTaxonName
> term be renamed to higherClassification and that a new higherTaxonName
> term be added with the following attributes (adjusted later or name
> changes to terms, as necessary):
>
> Definition: The name that is the parent of the scientificName.
>
> Comment: "Examples: "Animalia", "Chordata", "Vertebrata", "Mammalia",
> "Theria", "Eutheria", "Rodentia", "Hystricognatha", "Hystricognathi",
> "Ctenomyidae", "Ctenomyini", "Ctenomys".
>
> ABCD 2.06: DataSets/DataSet/Units/Unit/Identifications/
> Identification/TaxonIdentified/HigherTaxa/HigherTaxon/HigherTaxonName
That would be the best option in my eyes too, I agree. And it nicely
lines up with ABCD

> Finally, to me the term name "nameUsage does nothing to suggest its
> content. This may require people to read the definition, which would
> be a good thing, but it might just as easily slip people's notice as
> something they don't understand and therefore must be irrelevant. For
> such important terms I think that is too dangerous. I'd suggest better
> names, and definitely request clear definitions that let those
> currently using the term called "scientificName" know where that same
> information should go.
I never wanted to challenge scientificName. My main concern is and was
about the term providing an ID for the "taxon class". I have had great
sucess so far using the taxonomic terms in different context,
representing nomenclatural work, classic taxonomic or even concept
based taxonomies. Especially using the different ID terms for the
classification, the basionym and the pointer form synonyms to the
accepted taxon works nicely if you have a single "primary key" to
refer to and not different terms for pure names, taxa or taxon
concepts. This is where I thought name usage (see global names usage
database, GNUB) would be the least common denominator and better
suited as a term than scientificNameID or taxonID. If we can provide a
definition of scientificNameID that covers the use for taxa or any
"name usage" as in a name that has been used somewhere aka publication
or digital source, then I am glad to keep scientificNameID. It just
sounds very nomenclaturally biased when you come across it without
reading the documentation.