[tdwg-content] dwc: city to county

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 25 19:13:22 CEST 2009

Hi Gregor,

Sorry to remain confusing (it's all so clear to me  ;-) ).

I think what you are trying to do is relate records by features they
have in common, features that one might find in gazetteers of named
places. That's not what the locationID is for.

locationID is the identifier for the Location. The Location consists
of all of those fields having to do with place. If two Locations
differ in any of the content of any of the fields in Location, they
should have different locationIDs. This is consistent with the use of
class identifiers throughout the rest of the Darwin Core.

So, you said, "I assume that the locality is known in detail, e.g. "E
of little pond 100 S of village X". Can the localityID for village X
be given or not?"  The answer is "No, the locationID for village X can
exist, but it shouldn't be the locationID of the record referring to
the detailed place that mentions village X."

I hope that's clearer.

John