[tdwg-tnc] ontological representation of taxonomies and phylogenies

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Fri May 16 02:46:27 CEST 2008

(apologies if you receive this multiple times - we are trying to
reach as many interested researchers from the taxonomic/systematic
community as possible)

Under the umbrella of the Open Biomedical Ontologies project (OBO;
http://obofoundry.org/) we have created a new mailing list, called
obo-taxonomy, for the discussion of ontological representation of
taxonomies and phylogenies.  The OBO Foundry supports the development
of orthogonal, interoperable reference ontologies for biological
science.

The Phenoscape project (http://phenoscape.org) develops methods and
tools for using ontologies to integrate comparative morphological
data with mutant phenotypes of genetic model organisms.  As such we
are very interested in participation from members of the evolutionary
biology community to explore how best to integrate taxonomy into an
ontological framework.  Issues include proper semantics of the
relationship between taxonomic groups, and between specimens and
species.

Subscribe to the mailing list:

Additional info:
http://blog.phenoscape.org/2008/05/15/taxonomy-as-ontology-opening-
the-debate/

Acknowledgments:
The Phenoscape project (http://phenoscape.org/) is funded by NSF-BDI
and supported by the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent;
http://nescent.org).

	-hilmar