[tdwg-tnc] LSIDs and taxon concepts

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Tue Oct 9 15:32:40 CEST 2007

Eammon,

Yes WFS (not sure about WMS) is very similar to TAPIR.

In the mapping environment the data needs to be valid to put a point
or a map (or something more tricky) in our world it is a little more
complex what the validity is for. If you ask for a TaxonConcept and
it has a TaxonName embedded in it will the authority string of the TN
be broken into basionym and combination authorship? Some providers
might be able to do this (but few). Is it valid not to include an
authority string at all? It is difficult to see how we would define a
structure that would meet everyones needs.

The only way to do more validity testing in the transport layer is to
have clearer use-cases. Perhaps I should say "Valid for what?" rather
than "Valid for whom?".

All the best,

Roger

On 9 Oct 2007, at 13:23, Eamonn O Tuama wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> I was thinking "valid"  for a particular consumer who expected
> certain items
> of data. For example, a GetCapabilities document in an OGC Web Map
> Service
> is commonly validated before it is returned to a client.  So your
> first
> scenario is something like the one I had in mind. As you pointed out
> earlier, it is possible to add an arbitrary literature reference to
> the
> TaxonConcept, but you might want to enforce that (in a relatively
> tightly
> coupled system) by using an XML Schema. But I do like the RDF "open
> world"
> approach and I assume that in scenarios 2 and 3, you could traverse
> the
> relationships and find a link from a TaxonConcept to a literature
> ref in one
> of the triples that get aggregated, i.e. each TaxonConcept instance
> does not
> have to come packaged with a lit ref.
>
> Éamonn

>>> concept (that is, "concept" sensu Kennedy, not sensu Pyle).  And