[tdwg-ncd] NCD news and list of deliverables for 2007

Neil Thomson N.Thomson at nhm.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 15:49:55 CET 2007

Dear all,

Here is a final list of the NCD deliverables that will be expected under the two contracts that are currently being negotiated. Please let me know as soon as possible if changes need to be notified.

Once finalised, I will post this to the NCD wiki, after I get that launched, so that they can be used as topic headings for discussion and progress reporting. Some, if not all, will also be mirrored on the RAVNS Basecamp.

I am pleased to say the the French GBIF node have expressed an early interest in making use of the toolkit and have joined this mailing list so that they can participate in the discussions - welcome Gaël Lancelot.

It would be good to start discussing the timing and content of the 2007 NCD Workshop and I will send a separate email to this list about that shortly.

---------------------

NCD deliverables - 2007

Part 1: TDWG harmonisation
1. LSID Vocabulary for organisations and collections in the rs.tdwg.org namespace. (Berlin)
2. Report on potential sources of information about biodiversity organisations. (London)
3. Memo of Understanding on uses of organisation metadata. (London)
4. Initial set of organisation records in the Berlin implementation of the NCD tool kit. (London & Berlin)
5. Documentation:
    - Introduction to NCD
    - User Guide
    - Data Creation & Migration Guide
    - Crosswalk with Dublin Core, EAD and MARC21.
(Boston, with New York & St. Louis)
6. A set of terms and definitions included in LSID vocabulary developed under 1 above. (Washington)
7. Meeting report from NCD 2007 Workshop as per TDWG template. (London)
8. Workshop training presentation on using RDF. (Berlin)
9. Review of 1st drafts of documents produced under 5 and vocabulary produced under 1. (Boston)
Part 2: NCD Toolkit
1.	The NCD Toolkit Macintosh and Windows installation executable, including interfaces as described below, based on MySQL, PHP and include an installation guide and full documentation. (Netherlands)

2.	Interfaces will be developed for:
	a.	PHP Web interface for data editing
	b.	OAI harvesting interface, including an RDF response based on a templating language.
	c.	Extraction of data in NCD schema-compliant XML files, through a REST Webservice
	d.	Pywrapper NCD configuration
	e.	Helpdesk with support for Mac and Windows
	(Netherlands)

3.	Documentation and Help Desk to lead organisations through the implementation process and provide ongoing support. (Note that a User Guide is also in preparation (see 5 above), which will guide those preparing data on the use and purpose of each data field or element.) (Netherlands)

4.	Central database established at the Berlin Botanic Gardens (BGBM) pre-seeded with data currently in the BioCASE NoDIT database for use in testing and to act as a repository for data from organisations that do not wish to host their own. (Berlin)

-----------------
With thanks,
Neil

-------
Neil Thomson
Head of Data & Digital Systems
The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD
Tel: +44 (0)20 7942 5294,
Fax: +44 (0)20 7942 5559,
Email: n.thomson at nhm.ac.uk
http://www.nhm.ac.uk