[Tdwg-obs] On observation definition / moving forward

tdwg at achapman.org tdwg at achapman.org
Wed Feb 1 06:27:49 CET 2006

I agree with most of what you say Robert

I like removing occurrence altogether from the definition and your words are good.

I diagree with your comments on localition, however. Ideally - yes, encourage georeferences, but we cannot exclude observations (especially historic ones) that do not presently have a georeference.

I am at present preparing a document on 'Best Practices for Georeferencing' as part of the BioGeomancer project. (http://www.biogeomancer.org).  BioGeomancer is preparing tools to assist in georeferencing legacy data, etc. and the Best Practices document will include information on how to collect locality data in the field.  It will also have a lot of information on how to calculate Uncertainty and error in location records. We can encourage all new collections and observations to have georeference information, but for legacy data this will not always be possible.

agree on entities - I don't think we lose anything by removing it.

Cheers

Arthur

Arthur D. Chapman
Australian Biodiversity Information Services
Toowoomba, Australia