[Tdwg-obs] Controlled vocabularies are a bad thing!

tdwg at achapman.org tdwg at achapman.org
Sun Feb 12 22:00:41 CET 2006

Roger

I couldn't agree with you more!

The first question that should always be asked is "why do I want a controlled vocabulary?"  Often the answer will be "so that I know what terms to use when I am searching"

A static vocabulary seldom works for long (other than in a small closed community), so you need an updateable vocabulary.  I think it is often better to use some form of linked  thesaurus etc. that can be added to, expanded, definitions modified if necessary.  This allows the user to get a definition, and look for possible synonymy in terms if they need to. I agree with your suggestion, Roger, of following a Dublin Core type process if necessary for different groups/classes of users if necessary.

There are several environmental thesauri around the world - some better than others - most overlapping in terms, etc.  Again off topic (but one of the things we need is a global, multilingual environmental thesaurus. There have been several attempts, some got close but then went their separate ways. There are standards available for preparing them .... but lets leave that for another discussion another day).

Cheers

Arthur D. Chapman
Toowoomba, Australia