[Tdwg-obs] What is an observation?

Steve Kelling stk2 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 17 17:46:17 CEST 2005

Hello,

I had several people respond to my query about  what kinds of things we
should discuss in this list. Overwhelmingly, the interest seemed focused on
defining some of the key terms that we are bantering about. To that end I'd
like to initiate the first discussion on this list by asking, what is an
observation?
  What follows is some information that I gleaned from the Internet,
discussions that I have had with others, and with the ENBI reports. I'd
appreciate your comments, in our goal to create a good definintion of
observation for our purposes.--Steve

Princeton University's Wordnet
(<http://wordnet.princeton.edu/>http://wordnet.princeton.edu/) defines an
observation as the act of making and then recording a measurement.
Basically, something is watched, and notes are taken about it. In the study
of biology and astronomy careful observations made by trained observations
and amateurs alike, is the foundation of information gathered for these
disciplines.

With regard to biodiversity informatics, particularly as to how
observations relate to the existing infrastructure, the above definition is
too general, because it encompasses all facets of biology. Consequently, we
need to begin to qualify the definition of observation. First, we restrict
our definition to only those observations made of organisms in the
environment. Second, the location at which the observation was made is an
integral component of the observation. Third, an observation is exclusive
of museum voucher specimens. Finally, information collected during an
observation includes additional attributes such as: protocol, measure of
abundance, extent of occurrence, demographic, ecological associates, and
environmental conditions.

  To discuss and ultimately added to the definition:

Advantages of observational data.
Disadvantages of observational data
Observational data providers (amateurs/professionals)
Detectability and data quality
Location specificity
Integration of observational data
Definition of a collecting event and its significance
others?

Steve Kelling
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
607-254-2478 (work)