[Tdwg-obs] What is an observation?

Alvaro Espinel alvaroespinel at comcast.net
Wed Oct 19 22:59:20 CEST 2005

What is an observation?

The essential elements of perhaps any observation were suggested by Rudyard
Kipling (1865-1936) in the Elephant's Child (1902): ("I keep six honest
serving-men (they taught me all I knew); their names are What and Why and
When and How and Where and Who").  Those elements answering Kipling's honest
serving-men are the basic observation elements.

"What", makes reference to the species (specimens, from latin specere: "to
look at" or "to see").
"Where", represents the place where the samples are taken or observed and
some essential geographical features like Latitude, Longitude and Altitude.
"Who", is the observer involved in the data gathering process.
"How", the method used to get the observation including accuracy, tools,
quality control and assurance, precision and certainty.
"When", the observation's time, and
"Why" is the context and purpose of the collection or observation.

Alvaro Espinel
OAS-IABIN consultant