BioGUIDs and the Internet Analogy

Chuck Miller Chuck.Miller at MOBOT.ORG
Tue Sep 28 13:11:43 CEST 2004

I think we just need to be clear that there are on the one hand the BioGUIDs
themselves and how they are created/assigned and on the other hand is the
method to find them later by someone else.  On the Internet there are IP
addresses and how they are assigned (albeit potentially dynamically) and the
method for someone else to find them.  Rarely do you get Internet references
given as an IP address (http://157.140.2.10) (certainly one reason is that
they can be dynamic) but rather as URLs (http://www.tdwg.org) that are then
resolved through the domain resolution process.

This approach enables the two things (number and name) to be managed
separately, yet linked together.

Don't we need the same two mechanisms for BioGUIDs?  Does the LSID spec
address both parts of this?  I guess I had better get over there and read
the whole thing.

Regarding:
>>IP addresses are in no way persistent.
>>IP addresses are not globally unique. [But they are unique on the
Internet]

Making analogies is tough because the details of the example can get in the
way, as in this case.  IP addresses have several attributes.  The point is
not whether IP addresses are analogous to BioGUIDs on the attributes of
static/changeable or universality.  The point is that the IP is analagous
because it is a cryptic non-intelligible and unique number used to locate
another network device by a machine that starts out with no idea where it
is.  That's the analogy - that IP and BioGUIDs are unique, nonintelligible
(ie. semantically opaque) strings of characters/numbers.

The issue is how in the world to you find the BioGUID you are trying to get
to?  Do you just use the nonintelligible string?  Or do we want somewhat
intelligible names as pointers to the nonintelligible?

Regarding:
>>The number of organizations to be issued Bio GUIDs surely is several
orders of magnitude less than those to be issued IPv6 addresses.

True.  But, there are potentially billions of BioGUIDs to be created, which
could exceed the number of IPv6 addresses.  Some institutions would be the
equivalent of a large Internet Registry managing millions of BioGUIDs.

This seems like a big issue to me.  Would GBIF/TDWG or whomever issue
millions/billions of BioGUIDs directly to institution records and not
decentralize by assigning blocks of BioGUIDs to institutions?

Also, when there are billions of something, efficiency becomes an issue.  IP
addresses follow a binary number approach that leads to efficient
processing.  Is there an efficiency issue lurking ahead for the BioGUID?

Regarding:
>>...name resolution protocols matter, but resolution implementations
don't...
This is true when you have working resolution implementations as the
Internet does.  But does LSID have a working resolution implementation now?
If not, creating a new one that works is not that simple I think.  That
would be a good reason for piggy-backing on the existing and working
Internet DNS/domain name resolution system as I've heard mentioned.

Chuck Miller
CIO
Missouri Botanical Garden