Mapping Lucid Characters to Prometheus

Paterson, Trevor T.Paterson at NAPIER.AC.UK
Wed Mar 17 12:55:24 CET 2004

Hi Kevin

looking over the character lists you use for keys I would say that they can
all be expressed by decomposing into a number of atomic statements ( our
angiosperm ontology has not yet included some of the structures and states
required, but this is not a problem as the terminology is readily
expandable) - i have briefly outlined the sort of mapping that is done in
the table below,
(note - i am not a botanist...so there may be some gaffs ;-).

The approach that we are proposing is that the descriptions are collected as
atomic statements, and more traditional 'characters' can be discovered by
analysis of this data (many characters are apparently a collection of atomic
scores/states)

Our taxonomists find this quite a departure from how they compose and record
their characters at the moment ( they recognize/discover and define a set of
characters by looking at the variation that exists in their specimen, then
create a scoring sheet/proforma that allows them to pick one of these
alternative characters) -  our system might be tweaked to allow them to work
in a more character oriented manner if they precompose sets of statements as
part of the proforma specification, and then score these alternates as
present or absent.

a major advantage of our system can be seen from some of your simple
characters - eg growth habit: you have split this into two alternatives 1.
Epiphytic or lithophytic habit vs  2. (not epiphytic or lithophytic) whilst
this might make sense for a key, and is a DELTA-like representation, we
would argue that if the ACTUAL growth habit was scored for each specimen as
epiphytic, lithophytic, terrestrial, aquatic  ( or concatenations of these )
far more accurate information would be recorded. For example, this would
allow the same specimen description to be divided into other character sets
if desired ( someone else may think that a key would work better if the
alternates were soildwelling or lithophytic vs epiphytic, another person
might want the alternates separately....if the description data had been
recorded in the orginal two-alternate-character division, this data reuse
would not be possible.

I hope this shows some of the salient features of our model...and how we
think it would beneft working taxonomists.

LUCID CHARACTERS<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

STRUCTURE

PROPERTY/

STATEGROUP

STATES

Salt tolerance

·          plants tolerating high salt levels (halophytes)

·          plants not salt tolerant

Entire Plant

Ecological Adaptations

Halophytic

(there are a list of alternate states that could be scored, or
NOT-halophytic is allowed)

General habit

·          tree

·          shrub

·          climber (woody or herbaceous)

·          herb

·          grass- or sedge-like plant

Entire Plant

Habit

Tree, Shrub, Herb  etc.are scorable (or the negative)

Entire Plant

Architecture

Climbing, Bushy, creeper, Twining etc

We can collect more specific data by scoring more states for additional
properties

Epiphytic or lithophytic habit

·          plants growing in soil (not epiphytic or lithophytic)

·          plants growing on other plants or on bare rock surfaces
(epiphytic or

·          lithophytic)

Entire Plant

Preferred Substrate

Epiphytic, Aquatic, Lithophytic, Terrestrial

Habit (aquatic herbs only)

·          free-floating

·          rooted in substrate with leaves all or mostly submerged

·          rooted in substrate with leaves mostly floating on the water
surface

·          rooted in substrate with leaves mostly emergent above the water
surface

Root

Root attachment

free-floating, substrate-attached

we don't have appropriate terms etc for thes states in our ontology as yet -
but they could be added

Leaf

Aquatic Position

floating, submerged,

emergent

Seasonal longevity

·          annual, biennial or ephemeral

·          perennial

Entire Plant

Lifespan

Annual, Biennial, ephemeral, perrenial

Seasonality of leaves (woody plants)

·          evergreen

·          deciduous or semi-deciduous

Leaf

Lifespan

deciduous, semi d., evergreen

Structures for spreading vegetatively

·          none (plants not spreading vegetatively)

·          underground bulbs, corms or tubers etc

·          rhizomes, stolons or root-suckers

·          detached aerial stem parts, or proliferous flowerheads

Entire Plant

sex and reproduction

vegetative

list of alternatives, or use NOT

Bulb

Presence

present, absent

Corm

Presence

present, absent

Tuber

Presence

present, absent

Rhizome

Presence

present, absent

Stolon

Presence

present, absent

Root-sucker

Presence

present, absent

detached aerial stem parts

Presence

present, absent

bulbils

Presence

present, absent

inflorescence

Type

proliferous

we can identify 'types' of structures, ith associated sets of states,
(aerial stem parts migh be a type of stem)

Chlorophyll in stems or leaves

·          present (plants green or grey-green)

·          absent (plants colourless, white or yellowish)

Leaf-Cholorphyll

Presence

present, absent

uses our structure hierarchy to identify which chlorophyll we are describing

Stem-Chlorophyll

Presence

present, absent

Entire Plant

Colour

specify any colour

Nutritional strategy

·          neither carnivorous nor parasitic (normal plants)

·          partially or totally parasitic on other plants

·          carnivorous

Entire Plant

Habit-Lifestyle

carnivorous, parasite, partial parasite, etc

any combination of states including NOT can be allowed

Trap structures (carnivorous plants only)

·          submerged or underground bladders

·          pitcher-traps

·          sticky glands or glandular hairs on leaves and/or stems

·          trap like irritable leaf blade segments

We haven't had to address trap yet but we have anumber of ways in which the
terminology can be expanded to represent this information....

·          we don't have 'trap' as a structure in our ontology yet - we
could add trap structure in various structural contexts, and allow scoring
presence or absence.

·          we can add the presence of hairs  or glandular hairs anywhere -
and again score presence/absence

·          we would have to add some stes to the ontology - e.g irritable

Trevor Paterson PhD
t.paterson at napier.ac.uk < mailto:t.paterson at napier.ac.uk
<mailto:t.paterson at napier.ac.uk> >

School of Computing