Name for the standard

Kevin Thiele kevin.thiele at BIGPOND.COM
Wed Sep 17 16:07:21 CEST 2003

Well, in practice (though perhaps not in philosophy) there isn't actually
any great difference between describing a specimen and "describing" a
taxon - in the former case we're describing a real thing (we don't actually
use describe the characters of the object, rather we use characters to
describe), in the latter case we're describing a 'platonic ideal' - an
idealised 'object'. In the same way we describe a triangle as being a three
sided figure and we describe the angles as equalling 180 degrees, but what
we're actually describing is a platonic triangle, not any real one.

The platonic taxon can be handled in exactly the same way as a real object -
we can say that a real specimen has leaves 10-15 cm long, and the taxon to
which it belongs has leaves 8-18 cm long - easy.

In Lucid we are implementing a system for coding specimens, and specimens
merely become twigs on the taxon tree. We don't even seem to find that we
need to specify that this node of the tree is a specimen and that node is a
taxon.

Note also that, for efficiency, different features are described at
different levels of the tree. Thus, whether the ovary is superior or
inferior is often most efficiently coded at family level, whether the leaves
are opposite or alternate may best be coded at genus level, what colour the
flowers are at species level, and how long the seeds are may be best at
specimen level. Ultimately, you're right, all coded features 'inherit' to
the ends of the tree (the specimens) but it would be inefficient to code, or
to store, the data there.

SDD still needs to visit specimen coding, but I think when we do we'll find
that it's trivial.

As to the scope of SDD, you're right that it should be possible in principle
to use it to describe the morphology of a widget, a soil, a nematode, or
perhaps even an asteroid. In practice, though, I doubt that it will be
useful for us to specifically scope SDD beyond the taxonomic domain -
probably the hardest domain to deal with anyway, so the ultimate challenge.

I quite like SDBO. Is there a courier service from Lisbon to Hawaii?

Cheers - k