Correct term for collating/summarizing/consolidating/inferring from below

Bryan Heidorn heidorn at ALEXIA.LIS.UIUC.EDU
Tue Mar 11 11:58:17 CET 2003

"Aggregate" when referring to moving shared characteristics up a level in
the taxonomy.

"Inherit" properties when going down the hierarchy.

Does "inherit" carry too much baggage from genetics and programming? It
might be good baggage to have.

Bryan

At 06:38 PM 3/11/03 +0100, you wrote:
>(While I am still working on the Paris minutes and related documents,
>I would like to raise a minor point:)
>
>What term should we use for the process of inferring and collecting
>information from multiple descriptions into a generated description?
>Bob raised the point that "collation" may be inappropriate or
>misleading.
>
>Please take a look at:
>
>http://160.45.63.11/Projects/TDWG-
>SDD/Docs/SDD_P_InferenceCorrectTerm.html
>
>and send your comments to the list!
>
>thanks, Gregor
>Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
>Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
>Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
>Koenigin-Luise-Str. 19          Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
>14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203
>
>Often wrong but never in doubt!

   P. Bryan Heidorn    Graduate School of Library and Information Science
   pheidorn at uiuc.edu   University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign MC-493
   (V)217/ 244-7792    Rm. 221, 501 East Daniel St., Champaign, IL  61820-6212
   (F)217/ 244-3302    http://alexia.lis.uiuc.edu/~heidorn
   Calendar: http://calendar.yahoo.com/pbheidorn
   Visit the Biobrowser Web site at http://www.biobrowser.org