SDD XML discussion in Sydney

Robert A. (Bob) Morris ram at CS.UMB.EDU
Wed Oct 3 19:57:29 CEST 2001

I found last year that I was torn between the accessions working group
and the sdd working group, so
I wonder if anyone is interested in about a half-day pre-meeting
discussion of XML schemas/DTD for descriptive data on the afternoon of
November 8, to continue in the regular meeting. Based on our own
experience in our Electronic Field Guide project, my current belif is
that descriptive data will generally need much smaller schemas than
accession data, largely because

(a). the latter is likely to have tags for a lot of stuff descriptive
pages need anyway and (b). mostly what is needed is some stuff to be
able to provide data typing information to characters. XSchema is
quite good at this.

Because of (a) I will lobby in the accessions group for a clean
separation of markup that's about biological and spatio/temporal
concepts from markup that's about records. It may be that events,
e.g. collection events is another area of overlap. Indeed, one focus
of a premeeting might be to take the output of the accessions work and
see what overlap there is in desired markup.

Bob Morris