"taxonomic rank" ?

Robert A. (Bob) Morris ram at CS.UMB.EDU
Wed May 23 01:00:06 CEST 2001

Our Electronic Field Guide has data in which we organize a number of
sub-specific instances placing them in the hierarchy below the
species, but these are not sub-specific in the sense of, say, plant
varieties. Rather they are mainly sex and life-stage. I suppose
calling these a taxonomic rank would not please taxonomists, but I
wonder if there is any common terminology that encompasses both these
and conventional taxonomic ranks, with which we could conveniently tag
XML externally and object names internally.

Bob Morris