Draft Spec mark 2

P. Bryan Heidorn heidorn at ALEXIA.LIS.UIUC.EDU
Mon Sep 4 10:59:04 CEST 2000

This is a problem but an easy one (I think). In natural language
adjectives, adverbs and the like have a scope defined by the grammar that
we learn as children... or are born with but we will not get into THAT
here. In any case the qualifier modifier modifies the value of the
character, not the character as a whole. So in the standard, any value
should optionally be able to be qualified by placing the qualifier marker
in the scope of the value marker.
If we intend the spines to be rare not
<ELEMENT_NAME> leaf </ELEMENT_NAME>
   <VALUE>
      lobed margins
   </VALUE>
   <VALUE>
      with spines
   </VALUE>
*   <QUALIFIER>
     rarely
   </QUALIFER>
</ELEMENT>

but,

<ELEMENT_NAME> leaf </ELEMENT_NAME>
   <VALUE>
      lobed margins
   </VALUE>
   <VALUE>
      with spines
    <QUALIFIER>
     rarely
   </QUALIFER>
  </VALUE>
</ELEMENT>

order would not matter so we could say
   <VALUE>
    <QUALIFIER>
     rarely
   </QUALIFER>
      with spines
  </VALUE>

The word "with" should not be in any of this but it is another issue.