Text characters in DELTA

Susan B. Farmer sfarmer at GOLDSWORD.COM
Tue Sep 5 10:03:15 CEST 2000

>> The DELTA spec would probably allow you to include a complete description
>> as a lump of text, but it would not be particularly useful to do so.
>
>Yes, you could do this. It would be slightly more useful to break the text
>up into text characters. For example,
>
>#1. <synonymy>/
>#2. <comments on habit>/
>#3. <comments on leaves>/
>#4. <comments on flowers>/
>#5. <comments on distribution>/
>#6. <general comments and discussion>/
>
>These could still be combined into a single description, but could also be
>displayed and searched separately if necessary.
>
>What is usually done is to intersperse such text characters at the
>appropriate places in a list of coded characters. They can then be used as
>repositories for information that the author can't or doesn't want to code.
>The information they contain is accessible in Intkey, and can be used in
>much the same way as coded information.

I've done this.  I use it as a check -- If I want/need to reverify the
information again ...; then I don't have to go back to the original source
because it's included in the data set.

Susan
-----
Susan Farmer
sfarmer at goldsword.com
Botany Department, University of Tennessee
http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Trillium