SDD Specifications Document

Jean-Marc Vanel jmvanel at FREE.FR
Thu Feb 24 10:57:33 CET 2000

Dear contributors

It's good to see a new debate begining!

Undefined terms in SDD Specifications Document:

   * "Progressive Revelation model"
   * Treatment
   * score

It seems that this Specification mixes data and Specification of processing to
be done on this data by an application. Processing is a very interesting subject
(see transforms), but good design is layered design, and processing seems an
upper and distinct layer.

Eric Zurcher a écrit :

> 1) One "pattern" that recurs in the document in the use of "attachments" to
> entities. ....

> 2) ID numbers crop up in a number of places. But it's not obvious how
> "unique" these various IDs need to be.

I agree.

> some sort of "connection operator"
> between states within a character (e.g., "flowers blue or violet" vs.
> "flowers blue and violet" vs. "flowers blue to violet"

"flowers blue and violet" will have to be covered by my proposed "Abstract Data
Model for Taxonomy".

<person>
  <first_name>Jean-Marc</first_name>
  <name>Vanel</name>
  <project>Worlwide Botanical Knowledge Base -
      making botany available on Internet
  </project>
route your mail in relevant folder)</a>
</person>

--------------3E33AACF67991C374FE0BA92

Dear contributors
<ul>
<li>
"Progressive Revelation model"</li>

<li>
Treatment</li>

<li>
score</li>
</ul>
It seems that this Specification mixes data and Specification of processing
to be done on this data by an application. Processing is a very interesting
subject (see
but good design is layered design, and processing seems an upper and distinct
layer.
use of "attachments" to

it's not obvious how
I agree.
"flowers blue and violet" will have to be covered by my proposed "<a href="http://wwbota.free.fr/UML_diagrams.htm">Abstract
Data Model for Taxonomy</a>".
>site&lt;/a>
(eventually put "wwbota" in subject to route your mail in relevant folder)&lt;/a>