[dwc-mixs] DwC extension in the GBWG repository

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Fri Mar 5 15:19:05 UTC 2021

Thanks Pier

I'll reply here for the benefit of all the group members too, so we can capture ideas before putting them into the READMEs.

The intention of this extension is to allow data exchange within the GBIF, OBIS and ALA infrastructures specifically using the Darwin Core Archive standard.
Being an extension to DwC this only draws in the terms not covered by Darwin Core, and also only brings in  fields that would complement the kinds of information that the Darwin Core provides. Therefore the cross-mapping work of the group is not fully relevant to this extension, although any changes in MIxS would be followed now, or in the future. The background for how this extension came to be is described in section 2 of the forthcoming guide (in draft) for exchanging DNA-derived data in GBIF https://doi.org/10.35035/doc-vf1a-nr22

The question on ratification is really one for the members of the task group to consider. It would be useful to have the task group approve that this was a sensible route for Darwin Core Archive use. Ratification by TDWG isn't strictly necessary for GBIF/ALA/OBIS but would be desirable. GBIF have committed to having DwC-A support during Q2 2021 so there are time pressures to consider and we believe this is nearly ready.

What GBIF are really seeking from the group is guidance on:

1. Is it correct use of MIxS in this specific application profile?
2. Are there considerations that OBIS would like to bring forward?
3. Is there scope to split the MIxS fields Thomas identified?
4. What should the name of this extension be? (bearing in mind 5 below)
5. Is it reasonable to supplement the MIxS fields with the additional ones to accommodate more use cases

We'll open github issues specifically for some of these, but I thought I'd share here for context.

Thanks,
Tim