[dwc-mixs] DwC "picklist" extension to MIxS IRIs

Pier Luigi Buttigieg pier.buttigieg at awi.de
Tue Jun 22 14:02:26 UTC 2021

Dear TG, Dear Ramona (GSC CIG), Chris, Bill,

In our DwC-MIxS mapping activity, we noted a practice to support the IPT
to generate "picklists" (for drop-down menus etc) by adding extensions
to IRIs.

This was suggested as a means to link the values to keys in
terminology-focused fields.

You can see the link to the "picklists" in the tracker:
https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/tree/main/dwc-mixs/dwc#vocabularies

An example is available in [1] and looks like:
dc:URI='https://w3id.org/gensc/terms/MIXS:0000005/contigs'

I'm not quite sure about this and would like your input. To me, it seems
like a very strange way to modify an identifier *issued by another
standards group* in order to help a tool generate dropdown menu.

It essential creates a false impression that there's something
standardised on the other end of that IRI that may or may not be the case.

Best,

Pier Luigi

[1]
https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/blob/main/dwc-mixs/dwc/vocabulary/contam_screen_input.xml