[dwc-mixs] Draft DwC extension updated

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Tue Apr 20 10:47:08 UTC 2021

Hi all,

Pier wrote:
	...the report, which will outline what this extension is, what it's not, and how it relates to other related extensions...

This seems to be the most urgent aspect here.

I suspect it is clear to all that "extension to Darwin Core" needs to focus on the  management of the identifiers, definitions, multilingual aspects, release policies, decision making processes, resolution services, overlap etc around the terms themselves (i.e. sustainable governance aspects).

What remains unclear - to me at least - is our scope with relation to application schemas that make use of those terms.

The DwC-A extension is just an example of an application schema, of which there will likely be many. It is primarily (only?) for GBIF/OBIS/ALA data infrastructures that aim to use MIxS along with other terms to supplement observation data.

One option could be that the task group simply refer to in the report as an example of the correct use of MIxS terms for this kind of purpose but not consider it part of any request for ratification. This would be helpful to others generating e.g. FrictionlessData, ro-crate or following W3C CSV on the web guidelines to annotate tabular data as a reference to copy, and provide the "peer-review" needed that GBIF/OBIS are using MIxS terms correctly.

Thanks,
Tim