[dwc-mixs] DwC-MIxS TG fifth meeting follow-up and next steps

Raissa Meyer raissa.meyer at awi.de
Wed Apr 7 07:36:16 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Thank you all for another productive meeting.

Due to the daylight saving time change, we’ve been asked to move the UTC time of our meeting forward by one hour to 3 pm UTC (5 pm CEST, 8 am PDT). Please add to the doodle poll <https://doodle.com/poll/w34ag83zvu4mrk3d?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link> until Thursday to indicate whether this would work for you.

Below, please find sections with next steps and a summary of our last meeting.

== NEXT STEPS ==
In our next meetings we’re planning to go through and resolve open issues on our tracker <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues> to wrap up the mapping and to start building the extension. In preparation, please add syntax predicates to the newly added columns <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k6Xe1OREUVISLjw1XLrtLqWsE7QgvWf7lSIXEbqXDpA/edit#gid=0&range=H1> in our SSSOM mapping spreadsheet and review existing mappings.

== SUMMARY ==
For extended notes please see our running notes document [1].

We’ve continued to review our mapping and started to shape the extension. The main outputs were:
To capture both semantics and syntax in the mapping, we'll use SKOS predicates in a separate syntax_predicate column <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k6Xe1OREUVISLjw1XLrtLqWsE7QgvWf7lSIXEbqXDpA/edit#gid=0&range=H1>. When the SSSOM team introduces official syntax mapping predicates (the SKOS predicates are intended for mapping concepts rather than syntax) we’ll update accordingly (Related issues: Issue 28 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/28> and 54 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/54>, SSSOM issue 56 <https://github.com/mapping-commons/SSSOM/issues/56#issuecomment-801575819> and 52 <https://github.com/mapping-commons/SSSOM/issues/52>).
MIxS:url is currently mapped to DC:references. We’ll keep that mapping because the DC term is the most widely interoperable, but will additionally map to the relevant DwC terms (Related issue: Issue 23 <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues/23>).
We’ll prioritise developing an extension anchored in Occurrence core, which is also a superset of Event core. We’ll additionally comment on an Event core extension in our report (the implementation of which may be challenging due to star schema restrictions), as the Event core can be decoupled from taxonomy and may thus be more appropriate for reporting on molecular approaches.
A single extension for all DNA-related terms across standards would allow for the most implementation cases. We could officially engage the relevant standards organisations (e.g. GGBN) once we’ve identified the gaps that their terms could fill in the extension.

Thank you and best wishes,
Raïssa and Pier

[1] Running Notes Document https://docs.google.com/document/d/1569Q7D0Tm03vRQmu2L2WykI63Uk8Aa20GJBC7kUnMZ4/edit#heading=h.qfo10c1vywxz <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1569Q7D0Tm03vRQmu2L2WykI63Uk8Aa20GJBC7kUnMZ4/edit#heading=h.qfo10c1vywxz>
[2] DwC-MIxS mapping spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k6Xe1OREUVISLjw1XLrtLqWsE7QgvWf7lSIXEbqXDpA/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k6Xe1OREUVISLjw1XLrtLqWsE7QgvWf7lSIXEbqXDpA/edit?usp=sharing>
[3] Issue tracker https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues <https://github.com/tdwg/gbwg/issues>

—

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2996-719X