[tdwg] Country name reconciliation

Shorthouse, David davidpshorthouse at gmail.com
Fri May 17 15:57:47 CEST 2013

Folks,

The Canadensys development team, http://www.canadensys.net is looking
for efficient, low-maintenance ways to validate and reconcile data in
its National cache of occurrence data. We are working on a Java
library to initially tackle single-field Darwin Core validations,
https://github.com/Canadensys/narwhal-processor. We hope this library
is sufficiently generalized for uses outside our project.

Our current challenge is to reconcile country names, which requires
access to an up-to-date, well-maintained knowledge base of country
names, their alternative representations (possibly multilingual), and
mappings to known misspellings. For performance reasons, we'd like
this thesaurus to be embedded in the library, but with the capacity to
be periodically refreshed with data pulled from external resources
such as dbpedia.org. This clearly has ties to semantic web thinking
and, because we're new to the tools and services in this space, we'd
like to solicit pointers and feedback such that we build this part of
our library with maximal benefit to other projects. We started
collecting thoughts here:
https://github.com/Canadensys/narwhal-processor/issues/14.

Cheers,

David P. Shorthouse