[tdwg] Biodiversity Informatics position in Cambridge, MA on FilteredPush project

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 21:41:15 CET 2010

On behalf of the FilteredPush project, I enclosed this programming job
announcement. Interested programmers should send questions directly to
James Macklin jmacklin at oeb.harvard.edu

-Bob Morris
====================
Dear Colleagues,

We have a second position available for a
programmer on our NSF-funded Filtered Push project
(http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush). This position will
address mainly client-side applications. A successful applicant will
have several years of experience as a contributor in managed team
projects. The description is copied below and can be accessed on
Harvard's Employment website at http://www.employment.harvard.edu/ ,
selecting "Administrative/Staff Jobs (External Candidates)" then
selecting "Searching Openings" then searching on: Auto req ID: 22338BR

We will begin evaluation of applicants immediately in the new year and
hope to have a person on board as soon as possible.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Happy Holidays,

James

--
James Macklin, Ph.D.
Director of Collections and Informatics

-----
Business Title: Project Programmer

School/Unit: Harvard University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences

Location: USA - MA - Cambridge

Job Function: Information Technology

Time Status: Full-time

Department: Harvard University Herbaria

Salary Grade: 056

Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary

Duties & Responsibilities

Reporting to the Director of Collections and Informatics at the Harvard
University Herbaria (HUH), on a 3-year, NSF-funded project entitled
Filtered Push Network, this position will develop a production quality
implementation of the open source Filtered Push Network software
(currently prototyped based on a previous NSF award;
http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush). Develop and extend clients for
the network software, architecture, front-end (UI) coding for various
clients; in addition to design and coding for web service layers.

NOTE: This is a three-year appointment.

Basic Qualifications

Bachelor's degree. At least three years of IT project management
experience.

Additional Qualifications

Some familiarity with biology, especially botany, would be an asset.
Familiarity with Agile programming methods. Able to work independently.
Java skills with recent 1.5 and 1.6 experience, Java Enterprise Edition
technologies including JPA and JMS, Web applications: HTML,PHP, Perl,
AJAX, Peer-to-peer networking architectures, Familiarity with relational
databases: MySQL, Oracle, Java XML databinding frameworks, Java
persistence frameworks: Hibernate RDF and Semantic Web technologies.

Additional Information

All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.

The Filtered Push network software addresses three critical issues with
data in current distributed networks of species-occurrence data, as in
all scientific data: correcting the errors, maintaining currency, and
assessing fitness for use. This project will build a continuous quality
control system for such distributed heterogeneous data sets. We will
expand our current prototype to develop software that provides for
networks allowing data providers and consumers to define potential
errors in data, develop metrics for those errors, analyze distributed
data to detect potential errors, and close the quality management cycle
by providing a network architecture to move assertions about data
quality such as corrections back to the curators of the original
distributed data sets.

Harvard University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer