[tdwg] Consolidating TDWG work

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Mon Apr 6 17:05:09 CEST 2009

> At the ECAT SSC meeting during GB8 in Oaxaca in 2004 I recall saying
> that in the absence of a publishing tool to mobilize checklist data
> we should use DwC and DIGIR and alias some of the fields if
> required. I further recall the lack of enthusiasm by the 'IT' people
> present. It looks like this has partly happened just 4.5 years
> later. But how do we keep all this simply mobilized data sychronized
> unless this publishing tool (sorry, I've not looked at it in
> detail ... yet) has some 'services' associated with it so that a
> consumer can see what's been added and what's changed?
>
> Paul

good question, Paul.

The IPT does have an embedded data cache and with every new version
published it is first uploaded into the cache. At that moment
potentially previously existing records, before being removed for
performance reasons, are compared to new ones and it is thereby
detected which records have changed, which were deleted and which are
new. This information is in IPTs first version only accessible via the
full dataset dump (aka darwin core archive), but it is planned to
expose this also as a pageable atom feed and if requested by serious
users, potentially also as OAI-PMH.

Markus