[tdwg] Interesting example of tree navigation

Cynthia Sims Parr csparr at umd.edu
Fri Sep 14 05:41:30 CEST 2007

Our user testing on TaxonTree did indicate that undergrads at least
enjoy browsing when there is animation and optional zooming. However,
I'm concerned at the speed of the animation in this particular
implementation -- there is a risk of disorientation even though the
layout is more predictable and retrievable than a hyperbolic tree.
Personally, I found it a little difficult at first to distinguish the
children with different parents at the same level. DOI does help. We
used DOI (among other techniques) in CandidTree, an app. that is being
presented tomorrow at Interact 2007. Our focus was on comparing trees,
and I guess I can't say we tested with "normal folk" as our subjects
were either curators or Microsoft employees :-)

Cyndy