[tdwg] Species pages and video

Timothy M. Jones tpolonski at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 29 19:13:26 CEST 2007

Just a few comments.

One possible solution to the 1080 issue will be (soon to be
released, released?) Flash Player 9, which will support up to 1920 x
1080.  It
will not run in full screen mode at this setting unfortunately.
It will be in H.264 format, as used in MPEG 4.   FLV files are FLV files
- which may not be the panacea everyone desires but it may allow some of
the high-res content to get out in the wild, sooner than later.

The choice to use Youtube over Google was an easy one.  Youtube
allows one to embed the video in an html page, Google Video does not.
My feeling is that the supplemental information surrounding the video
can aid in familiarity for the user.  The more images available to a user
trying to make a determination of an unknown taxon, the better.
However, Youtube, and Google for that matter, may (read will) switch to
an ad based format.  Ads appearing on/in vouchers are not appealing for
obvious reasons.
Scientific video services are coming into being - Sci-Vee,   for one.
Not sure whether they offer an embed feature, have emailed them and
will hopefully know shortly.

Metadata - if anyone can send me a template that I can employ now,
even something rudimentary, I will use it and re-post the species pages
prior to the conference.  The data are there/here.

Thanks to all on the list that have offered suggestions and solutions to
clarify and improve  the previously posted Carices pages.

Still working on clustering Google points and getting kml to run in Gmaps,
Tim

Latest page with all recommended improvements so far-

http://utc.usu.edu/factsheets/CarexFSF/new/carex_oligosperma_species.htm