[tdwg] Species pages and video

Eamonn O Tuama eotuama at gbif.org
Tue Aug 28 17:19:56 CEST 2007

Dear Timothy,

I think the use of video is valuable even if there is not much motion
involved - combining a series of stills with voice over can be very
effective - and the many video hosting services makes it relatively easy to
get online. However, unlike text which can be mined for information, video
(and images) require good metadata to describe what the content is about -
to aid in searches, etc.

Your species pages with their general facts and interactive taxonomic keys
span the task areas covered by SDD (Structure of Descriptive Data) and SPM
(Species Profile Model) TDWG interest groups. I look forward to fruitful
discussions between the two at the forthcoming meeting in Bratislava that
will lead to standardised ways of marking up your species content so that it
is more easily discoverable, accessible and re-usable (assuming permissions
granted) across what GBIF has labelled "The Universal Biodiversity Data
Bus".

Best regards,

Éamonn