[tdwg] Species pages and video

Shorthouse, David dps1 at ualberta.ca
Wed Aug 22 00:01:32 CEST 2007

> Species pages update -
> All issues with the exception of the kml running in Google maps have
> been addressed. Mapping now includes a Google map listed by GBIF
> contributor and a Google Earth map that lists all current GBIF data
> (click-able for more info).
> Map examples -
> http://utc.usu.edu/factsheets/CarexFSF/new/carex_aurea_range.htm
>
> http://utc.usu.edu/factsheets/CarexFSF/new/carex_eburnea_range.htm
>
> http://utc.usu.edu/factsheets/CarexFSF/new/carex_folliculata_range.htm

[David Shorthouse wrote:]
Careful. More than ~200 pushpins causes issues with client browser memory
overload, i.e. can freeze or crash browsers, especially older versions of
IE. If you want all those markers, you'll have to investigate clustering.

> Any thoughts on how to deal with problem?
> Will this problem still be here three years from now?

[David Shorthouse wrote:]
I'd say it'll be worse. As developers, we'll have to start thinking about
handhelds and iPhones.

David P. Shorthouse
Department of Biological Sciences
CW-403, Biological Sciences Centre