Standards for date / time values?

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Feb 24 10:02:54 CET 2006

I concur with Richard on the sufficiency of the three fields, and prefer to
err on the side of simplicity for the DwC.

On 2/24/06, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org> wrote:

> RE: CollectingDatesInterpreted
> When would this field *not* be set to true?  In other words, what is the
> threshold for "interpreted", in terms of populating EarliestCollectingDate
> and LatestCollectingDate?
>
> At one extreme, we have a VerbatimDateTime of "12 January 2005, 13:34:15
> local time".  Not a lot of interpretation needed there (other than
> conversion of original documentation format to ASCII/Unicode, and
> interpretation of the time zone from the locality data).  But conversion
> of
> "12 January 2005" to
>
> EarliestCollectingDate: "2005-01-12 00:00:00"
> LatestCollectingDate: "2005-01-12 23:59:59"
>
> ...requires a bit of interpretation. Maybe the time portion could simply
> be
> omitted; but even still, there is technically *some* interpretation when
> converting "January" to "01".
>
> And the spectrum continues on from there up until, well, stuff that would
> be
> unambiguously flagged as "interpreted".
>
> My point is, there should be some sort of guideline as to when to set
> CollectingDatesInterpreted true; i.e., what threshold of interpretation
> triggers that field. If such a guideline already exists, then I apologize
> for missing it.
>
> Personally, I don't think CollectingDatesInterpreted is necessary, really,
> because I have always regarded my equivalents of EarliestCollectingDate
> and
> LatestCollectingDate as interpreted.
>
> RE: Lynn's examples below.
> I wrestled with these issues (and more) a number of years ago.  Other
> examples include "Summer; year unknown" (important for seasonal species),
> and multiple (non-contiguous) date ranges: "May or August, 2004" -- among
> others.
>
> In addition to the equivalents of VerbatimDateTime,
> EarliestCollectingDate,
> LatestCollectingDate; I had a controlled-vocabulary field called
> "DateRangeQualifier", which had an enumerated list of options tied to
> interpretation logic (e.g., "continuous range", "discontinuous range",
> "unknown point", "either/or", etc.; as well as sub-range qualifiers like
> "Summer"). I modelled it after an analogous field I use for interpreting
> paired or multiple georef coordinates (e.g., "transect" vs. "bounding
> box";
> "polygon" vs. "linear"). This DateRangeQualifier approach ended up being
> too
> cumbersome to implement -- only because I was too lazy, and the number of
> cases that benefited from it (i.e., allowed computer logic to be applied,
> independent of a human reading of the VerbatimDateTime value) was low.
>
> The three fields
> VerbatimDateTime/EarliestCollectingDate/LatestCollectingDate will give you
> 90% of the value 90% of the time (at least for the specimen/observation
> data
> [...]

------=_Part_13803_9889025.1140804174968

I concur with Richard on the sufficiency of the three fields, and prefer to err on the side of simplicity for the DwC.<br><br>
do to satisfy the first requirement, short of scanning field notes or voice<br>recordings.&nbsp;&nbsp;The earliest and latest dates support the recording of explicit<br>ranges as well as interpreted ranges, which could be used to make &quot;Summer of