Standards for date / time values?

Gail Kampmeier gkamp at UIUC.EDU
Thu Feb 23 19:58:19 CET 2006

Hi Lynn & John,

Personally, I don't think that combined date fields are adequate,
particularly for retrospective data capture.  We have far too many
insect labels with partial dates (tiny labels, tiny print, no room),
which really mess up (probably also platform dependent screwups) when
you try to enter the data as a date without one of the pieces.  We've
found all permutations--year only, month and year, month and day,
well, maybe not day and year...but that's enough of a variety that we
have all the fields individually broken out to accomodate this and
then account for missing data in a calculated "pseudo" date by making
assumptions depending on which piece may be missing.  It also gives
you greater flexibility and assuredness that you have the day and the
month able to be put in the order desired or show the date in
different formats such as 6.ix.1956, where the day and the month
could easily be confused.

Cheers!
Gail

--