TDWG 2002 meeting

Stan Blum sblum at CALACADEMY.ORG
Tue Aug 27 17:09:42 CEST 2002

Dear TDWG List Member:

This year's TDWG meeting will be held in Indaiatuba, Sao Paulo State,
Brazil.  Our hosts this year are Dr. Vanderlei Perez Canhos and his staff
at "CRIA", the Reference Center for Environmental Information (Centro de
Referência em Informação Ambiental).

The TDWG meeting will occupy two days in a larger forum on biodiversity
informatics, which will include a Species 2000 meeting, a symposium on "Key
Innovations in Biodiversity Informatics" and several satellite workshops.

The main TDWG meeting will take place on the weekend of October 19-20. The
primary focus of the meeting will be an examination of the four "work
programs" recently established by the Global Biodiversity Informatics
Facility (GBIF), and exploring with GBIF staff how best to pursue the
development of standards that will promote the interchange of biodiversity
information.

Sunday will be largely devoted to presentations and demonstrations, and
there is still plenty of room in the schedule if you would like to inform
your colleagues of your recent work.

TDWG subgroups will meet in the days before the plenary sessions, and the
symposium on will take place on the following Monday and Tuesday (Oct. 21-22).

Please see the web site for additional details about the events, schedule,
travel, visas, and hotels.  http://www.cria.org.br/eventos/tdbi/.

Registration forms should be available on the web site by the end of this
week.  In the mean time, the following estimates of expenses (in US$) for
TDWG events might help you with your planning:
Travel: ??
Visa: ??
Hotel: $70/night
TDWG Registration: $80
TDWG Banquet: $40
Symposium Registration: $20

Please contact me (sblum at calacademy.org) if you would like to give a
presentation or demonstration on Sunday, October 20.

I think this promises to be a very significant set of meetings.  I hope to
see you there,

Stan Blum
Chair, TDWG Exec. Comm.