[tdwg-tag] "Class" attribute in DwC

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 02:23:47 CEST 2015

The current DwC Terms [1]   (carrying Identifier
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/2015-03-19/terms/ and Date Modified: 2015-06-02
) is confusing  (confused? silent? ) about the relation of the "sister
classes" to the terms intended (?) to be used therewith.  For example,
dwc:Event, dwc:MachineObservation, and dwc:HumanObservation could
reasonably(?) all have dwc:eventDate applied to them. But
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#eventDatesuggests
Class=dwc:Event.

Now it's human-clear that for each of the "multiple" boldface lines in
the index, the second and subsequent terms are meant to be special
cases of the left most one. What I can't see is whether [1] intends to
encourage (require?) this in some explicit way, and where that
explicit way is to be found.  (I had a dream that the DwC RDF Guide
might take a position....) .

Thanks.

--Bob
p.s. I concede that some answers might lurk in the ongoing move of
resources to http://tdwg.github.io/dwc/terms/.  My second dream was
that tdwg.github.io does Content Negotiation and curl would rescue
me....

[1] http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm

--
Robert A. Morris