[tdwg-tag] [tdwg-rdf: 105] Re: Any TCS users with experiences to report?

David Remsen dremsen at mbl.edu
Wed Nov 28 22:20:25 CET 2012

I need to unload some taxonomic bugbears even if I might be fundamentally wrong about some things.

1.   I hate, and have always hated, the term "taxon concept."  It implies that the distinction between a taxon name and a concept is somehow special.  Is it inaccurate to think of names as the "word"s used in taxonomy and concepts are the "definitions".   Geographical names have similar issues.  Don't many regular words themselves suffer this 'concept' problem?  Even the word 'concept' suffers the concept problem. [1]  I personally prefer to use the term 'taxon definition' when describing the issue to anyone who doesn't read this list. It keeps their yes from glazing over.  It's easier for me to digest too.

2. I get very anxious when I get involved in discussions on "sensu" this and "name-usage" that which subsequently link to taxon references that don't actually resolve to anything resembling the actual definition of a taxon!  It seems madness to have nearly any use of a taxon be a distinct concept because someone might have a different thought in their head about what the 'definition' is.

3. My opinion is that only distinct concepts should be distinctly identified.   What distinguishes a distinct taxonomic concept?   One that provides evidence of its circumscription[2] or, more succinctly, a "definition".

4. ideally the elements used to define a taxon circumscription would be something machine-comparable so you could automagically compare concepts and infer relationships.   It seems most concept-to-concept mappings I've come across, on the other hand, are based on the non-evidence of someone saying A is broader than B and simply recording it that way.

5. What elements can be used to describe the circumscription of a taxon?  I've come across:
a. specimens - I believe this is what Jessie and Martin Pullen, et al. preferred in the Prometheus work [3].
b. Types/Original descriptions - I like this way of doing things.  In my opinion it provides the most flexibility for using taxonomy to improve discovery and access to species information.
c.  Morphological characters - Fundamentally I think these must actually be resolved to (a) or (b) above,  don't they?  Seems useful though.
d. Geospatial distribution - iNaturalist does a nice job of distinguishing concepts this way but I don't believe it's actually the definition.   What a pain to make machine-comparable too.
e. Synonymy - This seems to be how some define their taxa but without a clear distinction between taxonomy and nomenclature I don't see how it can work. Adding a nomenclatural synonym changes nothing regarding the circumscription.  So fundamentally this approach has to tie names back to (b) above.  At least if I know that my definition of Gorilla gorilla includes the types for berengei and graueri, and you think they are all distinct than my Gorilla is broader than yours.
f. DNA - I really don't know anything about that.

6. Lastly, I worry a bit about using the hierarchical ancestry of a taxon as part of its definition.  For species I suppose the parent taxon could be considered an attribute of the concept/definition.  But for higher taxa it makes no sense at all.

Anyway,  it's off my chest.  I bring it all up for two reasons.  I've rarely come across a term used more ambiguously than the term "taxon concept" and subsequently I've been very nervous about assessing different approaches to modeling them.

best from Woods Hole
Dave Remsen

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com/concept
[2] The "word circumscription," itself has at least four senses.  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/circumscription - I prefer circumscription sensu 1.
[3] Raguenaud, C., Pullan, M.R., Watson, M., Kennedy, J., Newman, M., Barclay, P. (2002). Implementation of the Prometheus Taxonomic Model: a comparison of database systems. Taxon, 51(1), 131-142.