[tdwg-tag] Any TCS users with experiences to report?

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Nov 5 10:16:50 CET 2012

Hi Tony,

A few quick comments.

Querying multiple sources on the fly ("federation") seems to me to be doomed to fail. I tried it in 2005 with the now defunct "Taxonomic Search Engine" and the performance hit of multiple HTTP requests, multiple, changeable interfaces and variable up time of the source databases made it hard work. I think at the scale we operation centralisation is the way forward. The arguments against centralisation tend to boil down to the interests of the data providers outweighing those of the users, which is a bad thing.

We have a very large, centralised taxonomy, namely the GBIF classification (it's easily the biggest around), itself based on an aggregation of lots of taxonomies. Why not focus on making that the best documented classification we can? There are mechanisms (such as GitHub) that we could use to enable people to download it, improve it, fork it if they wish, and so on. GBIF has names connected to actual data, and data that arguably is useful outside taxonomy, so it would seem a sensible place to focus resources. If not GBIF, then who?

There is, however, one major problem with GBIF, and indeed most other classifications. They bear little relationship to evolutionary history, especially at deeper levels (it doesn't help that there isn't a "tree of life"). In one sense this is fine, as I think we need to keep phylogeny and classification separated otherwise we conflate two rather different things. But we do need to integrate evolutionary information. The NCBI classification will continue to grow and be central to organising genomic information, therefore we need a mapping between GBIF and NCBI. Much of this will be done via names, but a lot won't, and will rely on other links, such as specimens. We also need to integrate phylogenies themselves, which is a different challenge. Unless we deal with genomics and phylogenetics the taxonomic database community risks being even more marginalised.

My own feeling is that we've spent  a lot of time fussing with standards, etc., without working out what would be the best landscape for the people who use taxonomic information. IMHO we should be building a Google for biodiversity information. Until we do, we're basically just mucking about.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy