[tdwg-tag] GUID and LSID standards

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Mar 16 11:44:35 CET 2012

I will add to what Bob said in the event that somebody eventually
actually fixes the "Draft Standard" error.

The draft TDWG Standards Documentation standard
(http://www.tdwg.org/standards/147/) says in section 9 that
"For archival reasons all files in a standard must be in an open format
for which parsers are commonly available. For this purpose an open
format is defined as being one for which it would be possible to write a
parser on the basis of a published specification without having to rely
on code libraries for which the source code is not available or to pay a
license fee.
Formats that are currently considered to be acceptable include:
ASCII Text
XML
HTML
Portable Document Format (PDF)
Portable Network Graphic (PNG)
JPEG
OASIS OpenDocument"

The GIUD and LSID standards are currently packaged as Word documents,
which is not an open format.  They probably should be archived as PDFs.

On the subject of the draft Standards Documentation standard (if anybody
is taking notes on this), Bob's suggestion that there should be a
recommended "Here's how to cite this" included in the documentation is a
good one which should be included in the documentation standard.  The
"permanent URL" (e.g. http://www.tdwg.org/standards/150/ ) should be a
part of that citation.

For convenience, I have created and posted pdf versions of several of
the standards or draft standards (mostly so that I could refer to them
in a browser) at:

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/tdwg-stds-spec.pdf
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/guid-applicability-final-2011-01.pdf
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/LSID%20AS_2011_01_final.pdf
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/TCS-Schema-UserGuide-v1.3.pdf
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/NCD-v090_TDWG-NonNormative.pdf
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/NCD-v090_TDWG-Normative.pdf

but this is not an adequate substitute for making an open-format version
accessible via the permanent URL.

Also, as I've whined about several times already, the TAPIR standard
(http://www.tdwg.org/standards/449/) download link
http://www.tdwg.org/standards/449/download/ doesn't even download the
right standard.

Steve

--
Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences

postal mail address:
VU Station B 351634
Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.

delivery address:
2125 Stevenson Center
1161 21st Ave., S.
Nashville, TN 37235

office: 2128 Stevenson Center
phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu