[tdwg-tag] [tdwg-content] canonicalScientificName

Simon Chagnoux simon.chagnoux at mnhn.fr
Thu Mar 15 10:22:55 CET 2012

Sure, for prototypes and proof of concept things, edge cases can be left
apart. But some people and institutions also use Darwin Core for
exchanging data between big databases. It is a simple and powerful tool
for that, especially coupled with DwC/A.

When records doesn't fit in standard terms and you cannot afford losing
the information, the only solution is to add your own custom field.  I
am clearly happier when I find the term I need in the standard.

As canonicalScientificName is both useful enough and clearly defined I
vote for adding it to the standard.

Regards,

Simon.