[tdwg-tag] Canonical name parsing

Peter Desmet peter.desmet at umontreal.ca
Wed Mar 14 15:40:37 CET 2012

Hi Tim,

I agree, aggregators like GBIF and Canadensys will have to deal with
clean and dirty data in each field anyway: they need code libraries to
deal with this and it is good that these are being developed. But,
that doesn't help someone who wants to use data from a Darwin Core
Archive with his data in Excel or a Roderic Page who wants to get
things done for a prototype.
Having to use Java libraries or even the Name Parser [1] (though both
great) is a barrier to data use. Darwin Core (Archives) is not only
used for machine to machine interaction, humans use it too, and I
think we should allow easy hacking (I mean this in the good sense),
especially for something as important as the scientific name.
In addition, as a data publisher (e.g. for our VASCAN checklist) I
*do* have the information to provide a clean and simple to use
canonicalScientificName, but I just can't share it via the otherwise
excellent biodiversity sharing standard Darwin Core. I think that's a
pity.

Peter

[1] http://tools.gbif.org/nameparser/
[2] http://data.canadensys.net/vascan

PS: Yes, Canadensys will use the GBIF interpretation libraries. Since
we develop in Java as well, using those libraries is as easy as the
proverbial "one line of code". We're looking forward in testing them
and providing patches to enhance them. Open source FTW! :-)

--
Peter Desmet
Biodiversity Informatics Manager

Université de Montréal Biodiversity Centre
4101 rue Sherbrooke est
Montreal, QC, H1X2B2
Canada

Phone: 514-343-6111 #82354