[tdwg-tag] RDF/OWL Good Practices Task Group

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 00:53:04 CEST 2011

You'll still have to have tasks, task groups, and TG charters. I don't
think you gain anything by proliferating IGs. It looks to me that the
outputs desired are outputs about the TDWG technical architecture. The
TAG charter is pretty unambiguous that these admirable outcomes are
part of its remit. As you remark, there either are or aren't people
interested in maintaining these outcomes. Those people can join the
TAG or they can join the newly named IG.  What difference will there
be in the workflow if it is a new IG or TAG?  I also don't think the
TDWG constitution forbids renewable TGs. But even if it does, an
annually chartered TG whose charter is essentially "we will review
best practices document X and bring it up to date." is probably low
overhead and quickly approved by the IG. If you can't find a group to
do that, then you can't find it whether you have a disinterested
interest group, or a disinterested task group.

Bob

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at nescent.org> wrote:
> Hi Steve -
> Bob suggested too that I changed the charter into an Interest Group charter.
> So I'm sorry if rather than moving anything forward I created mostly
> confusion.
> Having said that, the changes I made are a reflection of the context and
> scope of charge in which I think this group, whether it is now an IG or TG,
> should be operating, i.e., that I feel would make the most sense. I feel
> pretty strongly that producing and practically validating RDF/OWL data
> publishing and consumption practices will consist of more than one task, and
> the idea that this is a task we can do once and for all is rather concerning
> to me. In fact, IMHO it isn't even worth attempting - the technology
> landscape in this area is evolving so rapidly, anything we produce now is
> virtually guaranteed to be obsolete in one year if no group feels committed
> to maintain it.
> I'll also admit that I'm actually surprised to find that the TAG is an IG
> similar to all others. I would think the TAG ought to be a cross-cutting
> group that integrates the output from all IGs, and has no TGs of its own
> other than those devoted to accomplishing this cross-IG integration.
> Finally, if TGs are devoted to accomplishing one task and then they
> dissolve, I don't understand why anyone should be bothered with creating,
> and then approving a charter to start with - shouldn't they rather have an
> agenda (or possibly a proposal preceding that)? Either there are people
> willing to do the task or there are not - I don't see the point of the
> chartering/approval process here.
> So, apparently the TDWG process just confuses the hell out of me. And
> apparently it's really only an IG that would be in line with what I think is
>  the most useful way to do this. Can we still change to IG?
> -hilmar
>
> On Sep 23, 2011, at 5:03 PM, Steve Baskauf wrote:
>
> Hilmar,
> I've been in class all afternoon so I haven't had time to look carefully at
> your edits yet.  But I wanted to make one comment about what you said in
> your second paragraph.  It is part of the nature of a task group that it
> have a limited lifespan: the amount of time that it takes to complete the
> task which it has been assigned.  After that, the job of maintaining the
> standard which the task group creates reverts to the interest group which
> chartered it (I am paraphrasing here from my understanding of
> http://www.tdwg.org/about-tdwg/process/).  So if the RDF group is actually a
> Task Group chartered by the TAG, then after its task is completed, it will
> fall to the TAG to maintain the product that it creates.
>
> The concerns that you raise below include some of the reasons why we had
> initially suggested that the group be an Interest Group rather than a Task
> Group.  An interest group does not have a defined lifespan - it exists as
> [...]

Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390
IT Staff
Filtered Push Project
Department of Organismal and Evolutionary Biology
Harvard University

email: morris.bob at gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush