[tdwg-tag] Lobbing grenades: a challenge

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Sep 22 05:42:38 CEST 2011

As one of the co-conveners of the proposed RDF task group, I suppose it
may be part of my job to "fall on the grenade".  Actually, I may not be
the best person to respond to the issues that Rod brought up, being
somewhat of a Semantic Web skeptic myself.  However, I think that the
question that Rod posed actually contains an incorrect assumption,
namely that anybody actually HAS converted much of any biodiversity data
into RDF.  If by "biodiversity data" one means "taxon names", "taxa", or
perhaps "taxon name uses", then yes, there are millions of triples in
the wild.  But to my thinking, that's taxonomy data, not biodiversity
data.  I'm not familiar with all of the organizations Rod listed, but
with the exception of BCI which is focused on institutions, I think most
of them deal primarily with taxonomic names and relationships, not
occurrences, identifications, organisms, specimens, events, etc. which I
would consider to be major components of biodiversity data.  I certainly
don't think that there is any existing "common vocabulary" that has been
used to describe those kinds of things, otherwise why would we have just
spent the last two years discussing what they mean and how they are
related to each other?

So I would say that one reason why we haven't "learned" much so far is
because we don't have either the raw materials (aggregated metadata
about occurrences and all the other stuff I mentioned) nor the
vocabulary to describe them (yet).  Getting those things (or figuring
out how to get them) is one of the points of forming the proposed task
group.  If it turns out that after a year we've done nothing but spun
our wheels with nothing to show for it, then maybe the venture is
futile.  But I would like to make the attempt first before we reach that
conclusion.

Steve

--
Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences

postal mail address:
VU Station B 351634
Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.

delivery address:
2125 Stevenson Center
1161 21st Ave., S.
Nashville, TN 37235

office: 2128 Stevenson Center
phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu