[tdwg-tag] RDF/OWL Good Practices Task Group

joel sachs jsachs at csee.umbc.edu
Mon Sep 19 21:46:44 CEST 2011

Greetings everyone,

After some back and forth amongst Steve Baskauf, myself, Greg Whitbread,
and the executive, we've decided to move forward with an RDF/OWL task
group, convened under the TAG. Our task will be to deliver a document
comprising
i. use cases and competency questions;
ii. well documented examples of addressing those use cases via rdf and
sparql; and
iii. discussion of advantages and disadvantages of the approaches
illustrated by the examples.

Our draft charter is at
http://code.google.com/p/tdwg-rdf/wiki/CharterOfTG
and we welcome comments, suggestions, and better ideas. One area where
we're still open is the question of whether or not our deliverable should
be an official Best Current Practice document [1]. The charter reflects
our current feeling that it should not. After we deliver our "book of use
cases and examples", options would include being re-chartered by the TAG
to produce a best practices document, spinning off as a "Semantic Web
Interest Group", or disbanding (either in triumph or despair).

When we were planning to convene as an Interest Group, several of you
accepted our invitation to serve as core members, and we hope that
convening as a Task Group does not change your willingness to do so. If
you would like to be a core member of the group, and we haven't yet
contacted you, there's a good chance that we will. But don't wait! Feel
free to volunteer for core membership. (And recall that you don't have to
be a "core member to" contribute.)

In regards timeline, I'd like to incorporate any feedback we receive, and
submit the charter to the executive at the end of this week, in hopes of
being chartered by New Orleans.

Many thanks!
Joel.

1. http://www.tdwg.org/standards/status-and-categories/