[tdwg-tag] Request for vote on proposals to add Individual as a Darwin Core class and to add the term individualRemarks as a term within that class

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Oct 31 15:38:59 CET 2010

I am pleased with the significant and thoughtful discussion that has
taken place on the tdwg-content email list regarding the relationships
among Occurrences, Individuals, and other entities that are a part of
the community's thinking about biodiversity metadata and the way that
those metadata are structured.  It appears from the discussion that
there is widespread acceptance of the idea that Individual as a concept
has a place in the structuring of biodiversity metadata and that there
is some consensus of what "Individual" means (i.e. an entity ranging
from actual biological individuals to small coherent populations that
can reliably be asserted to represent a single taxon).  Whether that
acceptance and consensus constitutes a compelling need for adding two
new terms (the class dwc:Individual and dwc:individualRemarks) to the
Darwin Core standard or not is the point of a TAG "vote".  Given the
discussion that has occurred, it seems to me that there are two reasons
why there is an actual need for those terms.  One reason is that if
members of the Darwin Core constituency intend to structure their
metadata in a fully normalized manner that includes grouping Occurrences
by Individuals (and it appears that there are at least several who
intend to do this), the term dwc:individualRemarks is needed to provide
a means indicate the nature of the individual (i.e. is it a biological
individual, clonal individuals, a small population, etc.?) and the class
dwc:Individual is needed as the category within which to put
individualRemarks so as to indicate that individualRemarks is a property
of Individuals.   The second reason for explicitly recognizing
Individual as a class is that it would place a term representing the
concept of "Individual" within a "well-known vocabulary".  I feel that
would be critical for facilitating the ultimate development of a
recommendation for the representation of Darwin Core as RDF.

 At this point, it is not clear to me that there are any other existing
DwC terms that should be moved to a new Individual class.  Originally, I
suggested that individualCount should be placed in that class, but I no
longer think so.  Counting the number of individuals is really something
that happens when an Occurrence takes place and a small cohesive group
of a single taxon (e.g. wolf pack or plant population) could have an
individualCount that changes over time.  As was discussed earlier in on
the email list, the xxxxxxID terms probably really belong in the
Record-level terms category rather than being listed within particular
classes.  So I don't believe that dwc:individualID should be in the
proposed class either.  As I detailed in my Biodiversity Informatics
paper, an Individual is really an entity that serves primarily as a node
that allows the grouping of other resources (namely Occurrences and
Identifications).  As such, it really has few (or no) properties that
can be known outside of Occurrences.

Thus I would like to "call the question" on the issue of the proposal.
I would suggest that the issue of adding the class dwc:Individual and
the term dwc:individualRemarks within it be addressed in a single vote,
since there little point in having one term without the other.  I would
also hope that those on the TAG who choose to vote would review the list
discussion carefully first.  Given that the question of "what exactly is
an Individual?" came up a few times after that question was clearly
answered in the thread is an indication that some people entered the
thread later on without the benefit of having read some of the earlier
posts.

Steve

--
Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences

postal mail address:
VU Station B 351634
Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.

delivery address:
2125 Stevenson Center
1161 21st Ave., S.
Nashville, TN 37235

office: 2128 Stevenson Center
phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu